To prepare lion’s mane mushroom, brush off any bits of dirt from the spines, cut off the part that was attached to the tree and cut it into half-inch steaks.
This mushroom is super versatile and mild in flavor, making it an excellent choice for many lion’s mane mushroom recipes. Some of my favorite lion’s mane mushroom recipe preparations include:
Pan Sautéed with butter
Oven roasted with olive oil or butter and seasoning of choice
Vegan crab cakes (my favorite!)
For some other more creative preparations, you can enjoy mushroom powder in a mushroom latte, lion’s mane tea or coffee or mushroom paste in a soup or pasta sauce.
Vegan Mushroom Crab Cake
This Lion’s Mane Mushroom Recipes will blow your mind. So delicious you won’t believe it is meatless! It is absolutely delicious and provides an amazing hearty and firm texture, very similar to crab. It is mild in flavor and is an excellent vehicle to take on the different flavors that you are cooking with.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS RECIPE
- Fresh Lion’s Mane mushroom
- Egg or flax egg: To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon of flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Allow to sit refrigerated for about 10 minutes to thicken.
- Panko breadcrumbs: I love panko breadcrumbs in this recipe but you can also use regular breadcrumbs.
- Onion: Sweet onion recommended.
- Mayonnaise or Vegan Mayonnaise: If you are enjoying the vegan version of this recipe, I recommend this Vegan Mayonnaise.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Old Bay seasoning: If you don’t have old bay seasoning, you can use Cajun seasoning or Italian seasoning for a slightly different (but still delicious) flavor profile. You might also love my Tempero Baiano Brazilian Spice Blend.
- Dijon mustard: You can also use course ground mustard.
- Salt and pepper
- Oil (to fry cakes): Canola, vegetable or olive oil all work well.
- Optional Garnish: Lemon wedges.
HOW TO MAKE THIS LION’S MANE MUSHROOM CRAB CAKE
- Hand shred mushroom into small pieces resembling texture of flakey crab.
- In large bowl, combine egg, mayonnaise, onion, Worcestershire sauce, old bay seasoning, Dijon mustard, parsley (finely chopped), salt and pepper. Mix until fully incorporated.
LION’S MANE MUSHROOM CRAB CAKE
3. Mix in mushroom until fully incorporated.
4. Mix in Panko breadcrumbs until fully incorporated.
5. Form mixture into 3-4 equal size round flat patties (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick).
6. Heat oil in sauté pan on medium/high heat.
7. Cook patties for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Should be golden brown and cooked throughout.
8. Add optional garnish, squeeze of lemon and enjoy!
“Hericium erinaceus a culinary and medicinal mushroom is a well established candidate for brain and nerve health.” It supports “neurite outgrowth and neuronal health benefits” and assist health problems and cognitive abilities in an aging population.